Thursday, August 2, 2007

Happy Birthday, sir!

Happy Birthday, sir!

On this day in 1970 in Red Bank, New Jersey was born the king of clerks, the sultan of swearing, the grand poo-bah of silence: Kevin Smith.

You once said, "There's something to be said for failing. It's not the failure you feel, it's the failure that people project when something disappoints."

I'll have to say you are right. Its not the fear of failure that ever haunts me. Its the fear of disappointment coming from those you love and care about (and then those millions that love and care about you... wait, I don't have millions... yet).

But, I had to just pull up my bootstraps... "A loop of leather or other material sewn at the side or top rear of a boot to help in pulling the boot on." Which makes this a cowboy reference so "Yippee-Ki-Yay-Mother fucker" -- I just love Bruce and John McClain is the man... sorry, I digress.

Where was I? Oh yeah, bootstraps. So I pulled up my bootstraps and disappointment be damned. After all, I'm a father of a twelve year old, I'm gearing up for being a disappointment to my son for, oh, five to six more years. What have I got to lose?

My wife loves me, god only knows why, and my daughter idolizes me... she's not old enough to be embarrassed by her old man walking around in his boxers. So right now is my best time. Everyone loves me and doesn't care if I make a fool of myself or totally botch this up. And I didn't ask for an investor in this film, they approached me. So, again, its their risk, not mine, right?

OK, you don't want to poison the well -- another western reference "Yippee-Ki-Yay-Mother Fucker" -- so that's one person you definitely have to be aware of disappointing. Damn. So, on top of everything else, I make sure my investors have fun. This is about movies and the dream and having fun... not business, not yet anyway.

And that brings me to my point (took a freakin' long time, eh). Let's have fun! I've actually got a screenplay that your wife would love: female version of Luc Besson's The Professional with a strong female lead that does whatever it takes to save her daughter.

Let's talk...

No comments: