Thursday, August 9, 2007

I died yesterday.


To Kevin Smith and whatever of his people monitor his email:

Low and behold I woke up to this news alert on me. Luckily it wasn't me, but its a sobering experience to wake up to your own obituary. It turns out Jon Bonnell, Jr died when he stepped on an improvised explosive device in the Al Anbar province of Iraq.

Now, I was no where near Iraq, and I'm not making light of this soldier and his family. It was just very eye opening to see my own name and realize how close to home our excursion in Iraq is.

Yes, I called it an excursion. To our brave soldiers over there trying to do their job it's a war. To the rest of us its a mistake (less than 30% of Americans support the war according to a recent CNN poll).

I don't have friends stationed over there, at least that I know of, but August 8, 2007 is the day of my death and the day that brought the war into my life.

Peace be with the family of Sgt. Jon E. ‘‘J.J.’’ Bonnell, Jr. I am truly sorry for your loss. Jon is survived by his father, Jon Bonnell Sr., his mother, Denise Rork; sisters Sara Bonnell, Brandy Rork and Tasha Rork; and grandmother Donna Bonnell, all of Fort Dodge, IA.

Nothing else matters today.

No comments: