Friday, August 24, 2007

Kevin you're doing Battlestar Galactica?

I just read the interview over at AOL and can't believe this: Kevin Smith is doing Battlestar Galactica. You're getting lined up with another great sci-fi television show. First you started Reaper, then Heroes, and now BSG.

BSG is simply amazing television. I can't wait for the season to restart. I've got some friends working on the visual effects for BSG (don't ask, I can't tell you anything about the upcoming season). It will be interesting to see what you bring to the show even if it is only one episode.

Well, without further ado here's part of the interview:

Will we see you doing more TV?

I know that I'm going to go up and direct an episode of 'Battlestar Galactica,' which I'm kind of stoked about. It's cool, but it is scary because it is like, "What the f---? I can't bring anything to that show." That show is genius and they have a very distinctive visual style.

But you are safe as a kitten. If you go in there and say, "I'm going to shoot everything in one big master shot," they'll go, "No you're not, because that is not what we do on 'Battlestar Galactica.'" I guess it is more about performance-oriented stuff, but at the same time that cast is top notch. How do you f----- direct Mary McDonnell?

I'm bummed that she didn't get an Emmy nod.

That whole cast is so spectacular and the fact that they haven't been singled
out is just bizarre. At the same time they finally got some writing nods, which
was good.

This is the final season of 'Battlestar,' so it is extra cool that you
get to direct one.

It's cool as someone who is a big fan and a supporter of the show to get up there and do one before they are all done. When I was up there shooting 'Reaper,' we shot on the same lot as ['Galactica'] and even though they weren't in production, our production designer was a production designer on 'Battlestar Galactica' so the dude was able to get me on the sets and show me everything. I walked around the Galactica [ship] and whatnot. But now to go back in a different capacity is more nerve-wracking. it is more fun to just walk around and be like, "Holy shit, that's the colonial viper." Then it is to be like," Alright, how are we going to shoot this colonial viper scene?"

Did they tell you anything about your episode?

Not yet. That was the first thing I asked, "Hey man, can I get a script?" and they are like, "It's not ready yet." I'm just hoping to be able to see some stuff in advance. If they'll show me every episode up until that point that would be incredibly helpful for my episode, but more incredibly helpful for me as a fan.

No comments: